Translate

Friday 10 October 2014

Mother in-law Tin Cans episode

My monster-in-law came to stay with us when I gave birth- a cultural practice. During this period of 3 months, I did everything within my power to make her comfortable and take care of her needs. Cooked for her etc.. After 3 months the same person that had stayed with me, smiled with me and carried my child went home to the village and gathered all the relatives to showcase ‘how I eat her son’s money’ and why her son was not sending her enough money. She had gathered all the empty cans of tin-food used to cook for the family including her over this period and traveled home with it over 850 kilometers.

I literally went nuts and could not believe what would possess another human being to think this way let alone behave in such a manner. I mean do I not have a stake in my own family finances; am I just an appendage that latched unto her son? Why would another being think of me as a parasite without worth or value? Who the hell did she think she was after I opened my doors and heart to her?

How do I proceed with this relationship? We have to go home for Christmas and I have to look at her and say what? 

No comments:

Post a Comment